Want these delicious links emailed to you once a week? Sign up for the Writing Wroundup Newsletter
Don’t Miss These Links:
Today’s Link Theft Victims:
- Hal Duncan with THE…. Five Rules of Writing!!
- Cheryl Klein with Three Useful Terms for Discussing Endings
- Moody Writing with Important In Story: What Happens Or Who It Happens To?
- Janice Hardy (The Other Side of the Story) with 10 Traits of a Great Protagonist
- reddit (r/writing) with The Case Against Adverbs
- reddit (r/writing) with When/why did it become “taboo” to use parentheses in fiction? Their use seems to have been rather prevalent up until the latter half of the last century.
- Joel Friedlander (The Book Designer) with Top 5 Book Design Layout Errors Illustrated
- Julie Bosman (The New York Times) with Self-Publishing Star Amanda Hocking Sells Next Series to St. Martin’s
- D.D. Scott (The Writer’s Guide To E-Publishing) with Amazon Breaking News: Kindle Worlds is Securing Fan Fiction Licenses from Amazon Bestselling Authors!!!
- Joel Friedlander (The Book Designer) with New Crowdfunding Options for Authors from Pubslush.com
- The Creative Penn: Content Marketing, Google Plus And Book Marketing Tips With Penny Sansevieri
- Tanita S. Davis with it all comes down to this [The Diversity Gap in Children's Books]
- Jane Litte (Dear Author) with Thursday News: Astroturfing or Reader Word of Mouth
- Barbara Vey (Publishers Weekly) with Beyond Her Book: Street Teams
- reddit (r/writing post by Will Weiser) with I uploaded my first novel to Amazon a week ago. This is a detailed postmortem.
- Maggie Koerth-Baker (Boing Boing) with The real problem with Curtis White’s The Science Delusion [Writing the wrong book]
- David Farland’s Daily Kick in the Pants—Giving and Taking Advice
- Ari Karpel (Fast Company) with How To Be Prolific: Guidelines For Getting It Done From Joss Whedon
- Rosanna Fay (Grub Street Daily) with Beware the Shortcut
- Jenny Kristine Thurman (Jenny’s Library) with Open Letter to SFWA (from a Librarian) [SFWA Bulletin Gender Controversy]
- Mark Medley (National Post) with Alice Munro: “It’s nice to go out with a bang”
- novel sounds with deconstructing september girls with bennett madison
- reddit (r/IAmA): I am Stephen King – novelist & executive producer on UNDER THE DOME – ask me anything!
- Leah Schnelbach (Tor) with An “Accidental” Novel? Neil Gaiman Talks about The Ocean at the End of the Lane
- MD Jackson (Amazing Stories) with Walk Like a Zombie
- Accidental Mysteries: World War II: Then and Now
- BBC News: Astronaut gives lecture from space [Video]
- Xeni Jardin (Boing Boing) with Cicada Mania: periodical summer insect invasion marks a 17-year benchmark in time
- Xeni Jardin (Boing Boing) with Feds thwart KKK member’s plot to create mobile death ray to kill “undesirables”
- David Pescovitz (Boing Boing) with Flying bicycle
- Cory Doctorow (Boing Boing) with Serving Coke in ice-bottles
- Bookish: Author Will McIntosh on How to Date in the Future
- Freakonomics: Do You Really Want to Know Your Future? A New Freakonomics Radio Podcast [Podcast]
- Craig Laurance Gidney with The Enduring Influence of Academic Racism
- KL Pereira (Grub Street Daily) with Slaying Genre: Speculative Poetry
- Jim C. Hines with What is Rape Culture?
- Goli Mohammadi (Make) with 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Things About Jake von Slatt [Steampunk Designs]
- David Axe (Medium) with Here’s How the Navy Plans to Shoot Down High-Tech Chinese Jets
- Chris Mooney (Medium) with The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science
- Nick Harkaway (Medium) with The Steampunk Movement Is Good And Important
- James Gorman (New York Times) with 3-D Map of Human Brain Gives Unprecedented Detail
- Felice Howden (Orbit) with The Future of Social Media in SF
- Sarah Pinborough with I don’t know where to put my feet… [Physical Abuse]
- Popular Science: Today’s Best Science Fiction Writers Imagine The Future
- Genevieve Valentine with Dealing With It [Sexual Harassment]
- Jamie Wyman with The Bad Touch [Rape Culture]
- Adventures in Sci Fi Publishing #211 – Chicon 7: Creating Vivid Characters
- I Should Be Writing #297 – Rapid Fire – Mur Lafferty
- Cory Doctorow (Boing Boing) with Bats sing Batman theme
- Xeni Jardin (Boing Boing) with Pentagon confirms that Cap’n Crunch, cereal fraudster, is wearing rank of a U.S. Navy Commander
- SMBC (via Jim C. Hines – @jimchines): The writing career, in a nutshell
- Chris Lough (Tor) with Dance it Up to This Slick Ska Version of the Game of Thrones Theme